Monday, May 17, 2010

Pictures 8: Tennessee Fishing Camp

Patrick's dad and his friend Brad learned about this fishing camp through a Google search; Brad looked for camping on the South Holston River, and this site was "like, the 200th result" (Brad said). It is a small farm in Bristol, Tennessee that a farmer allows fishermen to use, whether to park their car for the day or to camp overnight, on an honor system of paying whatever they think is fair.

The farm is beautiful, and it is also full of a bunch of weird-ass Americana stuff that this guy must have been collecting for decades. I didn't meet the farmer while I was there, but I did become acquainted with his cows. Or his neighbor's cows. One or the other.

Click any image to see a larger version on Photobucket.

Photobucket
Our little Hooverville

Photobucket
The river one rainy afternoon when the mist was coming off the water

35 more pictures after the jump...



Photobucket
Blake hangs out on our day alone at camp

Photobucket
This is the chair from which I blogged.

Photobucket
Darrell's shower, the pump for which plugged into the car cigarette lighter and the heater for which was powered by propane. Best shower OF MY LIFE. Or most necessary. Same diff.

Photobucket
Looking from camp, back toward the barns and farmhouse

Photobucket
ditto

Photobucket
The pasture next to the field where we camped

Photobucket
Oxidization at its finest

Photobucket
Pasture

Photobucket
My cow friend

Photobucket
My cow friend was really into me

Photobucket
Zoe, Darrell's dog, chills by the river after a day of fishing.

Photobucket
Looking from the road, down toward camp

Photobucket
MOST DELICIOUS FISH OF EVER

Photobucket
YUMMMMMMMMMMM

Photobucket
Darrell ties flies while Pat texts

Photobucket
Flies

Photobucket
They look so real! You think fish are stupid, but it's amazing how accurate your flies have to be to get them to bite.

Photobucket
Zoe is very sneaky when it comes to getting into laps... Pat fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

Photobucket
Feets

Photobucket
I don't think he stopped tying flies til after midnight.


Photobucket
Frowahs

Photobucket
mo' frowahs

Photobucket
Down on the river... Darrell on the left, Pat on the right

Photobucket
Trees along the riverbank

Photobucket
My gross feet! Before I busted my toe, of course.

Photobucket
I HAVE THE CUTEST DOG EVER.

Photobucket
Blake had such a great time, he just passed out on the bank! (And yes, it's a coincidence that the harness I have had for him for 4 years has trout on it...)

Photobucket
And now for some pics of the weird stuff this guy has around the property... This sign faces you as you walk toward the road out of camp... I have NO idea what it's supposed to mean, but I think I love it.

Photobucket
Lots of spiderwebs

Photobucket
It seems like this shower would have an awfully low wall, til you see that the hole actually goes 5 feet down.

Photobucket
do the penguins tell you to slide?

Photobucket
Lantern

Photobucket
it don't work no mo

Photobucket
amazing patina

Photobucket
lines

Photobucket
boat

Photobucket
My friend, Pat's aunt Linda likes to do things to Barbie dolls... so I knew I had to capture this hooked Barbie (hooker Barbie?) for her.

Photobucket
Okay, the drop box for money I get. The weathervane I get. But the tractor chair for "free riders" I don't get. The raccoon I don't get. "Respect the children" I don't get. But I still love it.

Photobucket
Rock me mama like a wagon wheel

Photobucket
What would a Southern farm on a river be without a little black boy with a fishing pole?

No comments:

Post a Comment