Monday, May 17, 2010

Pictures 10: Abandoned house on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I have always had a thing for abandoned houses. A few years ago my friend Jessica and I drove cross-country from NM to NJ and went to some amazing houses in Colorado and Kansas; ever since then I have had the bug. I go into every house I can find. As I said in the North Carolina entry, I may someday pay for my adventures, but it will be worth it.

This house was just north of Groundhog Mountain. Judging by a calendar on the wall I judge it's been empty for about 29 years.

Click any image to see it bigger on Photobucket.

Photobucket
I first went to poke around this old barn, when I heard a clunking noise from inside. I called out to see if anyone was there, and...

Photobucket
...Someone was!


9 more images after the jump...




Photobucket
Babeh

Photobucket
House

Photobucket
Porch

Photobucket
Porch again

Photobucket

Photobucket
Outbuilding and dead tree

Photobucket
Most of the doors were nailed shut and padlocked, but I was able to find a screen door in the back that was open. This window was in a bathroom near the back door.

Photobucket
The living room. I am always tempted to take a souvenir from these homes, but one of the things that makes them so magical is that they have been empty for so long, yet remain so intact... So since this stuff had stayed there for nearly 30 years, I left it all in hopes it would stay for another 30.

Photobucket
1981 calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment