Monday, May 17, 2010

Pictures 1: New Mexico to Tennessee

I left New Mexico on May 7, 2010. I spent my first night in Conway, Arkansas, and arrived in the Great Smoky Mountains at about 6 pm on May 8. Here are some pics from that drive.

And yes, I did have some crud on my lens that I didn't notice... But this was pretty much the first time I ever used my new camera, so I think it's forgivable.

Click any image to view the full-sized version on Photobucket.


Photobucket
Newkirk, New Mexico. This is not the first time I stopped for gas at this little "town." A few winters ago my friend Clare and I drove cross-country, and we stopped here just after an ice storm had blanketed all the grass white and prickly. It was nice to explore in better weather. This is the old church.

Photobucket
The functional gas station is north of I-40, this one is south of I-40.

10 more pictures after the jump...



Photobucket
Ditto.

Photobucket
An abandoned cattle corral (?) is next to the abandoned gas station.

Photobucket
Looking south from the abandoned corral in Newkirk.

Photobucket
Clinton, Oklahoma. I was intrigued by signs indicating a "historic district" but I got distracted by beautiful old buildings.

Photobucket
Clinton, Oklahoma

Photobucket
Okemah, Oklahoma - birthplace of Woody Guthrie. I've stopped here once before but never for an extended stint at sunset.

Photobucket
Okemah, Oklahoma

Photobucket
Okemah, Oklahoma

Photobucket
Okemah, Oklahoma

Photobucket
Day 2, I stopped for lunch in Jackson, Tennessee. After that Blake and I walked a bit around Casey Jones Village. Blake, my dog, has never really seen tall grass before; he's from Santa Fe, and any time he has come East with me, it has been winter. Needless to say, he's a bit enthralled.

No comments:

Post a Comment