Sunday, August 22, 2010

Slacking again?

I don't know what my aversion is to saying I will keep a blog, then actually KEEPING said blog.

We are presently at a friend's vacation cabin near Bigfork, Montana, on Swan Lake (a smaller sister lake to Flathead Lake). A lot has happened since Minnesota - celebrated my birthday with hurricane-force winds in the Badlands of South Dakota, decided that we weren't doing the Black Hills any justice and skipped up to North Dakota earlier than anticipated, flew across eastern Montana to Great Falls, helped my friends at Malmstom Air Force Base pack and clean their house, then came here to Bigfork.

Writing is hard. I have found it exceedingly difficult for a number of years now. I don't know what it is that prevents me from being as prolific as I was in high school and the first half of college.

But either way, we're here. I rode a jet-ski for the first time yesterday and broke my toe in the process. (I'm a toe-breaker, if you haven't figured that out yet.) This may preclude me from doing much (any) backpacking in Glacier National Park, which is pretty much bullshit - but I am trying to keep my hopes up that my toe will feel great in the morning and will no longer be that ugly red-purple color in a few hours. (Shhh. Don't bust my bubble.)

We aren't sure what our plans are from this point out. We are definitely doing Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons, but after that - who knows. We would love to head out to the Pacific Northwest, but Patrick wants to get back to Knoxville to spend time with his kids and figure out his own future, and I'd also like to get back to Santa Fe because my sublettor (who is committed to Nov. 15) said that, if possible, he'd like to move out sooner. He's been a great sublettor so I'd like to help him out with that if I can. Before anything happens, though, we will have to head back to New Jersey to pick up Pat's car and my dog. Then there's always the question of, once I return to Santa Fe, what I will do for money and whether Patrick will eventually follow me out there.

Lots of things are up in the air. But right now I'm just looking out at the storm clouds moving over the lake, wishing I had the energy to write more, but all I really want to do is start reading a new book (finished one today) and eventually take a nap under some down comforters.

No comments:

Post a Comment